Thursday, February 19, 2009

Sculpting faces

This is my two weeks worth of work. I have been sculpting faces and making a few beads while waiting for the dolls to bake. I get so frustrated with how much time things take. I have been trying to come up with pieces that do not take up so much time for selling purposes, but before I know it these simple little pieces end up taking close to a week to make. I guess things just have to cost what they will. The great thing about art dolls whatever the style, they are one of a kind. I see so many doll artist selling dolls way below value. I see dolls in Walmart( a doll) that cost more than some of the Art Dolls being sold. I just don't get it! Maybe it is that age old problem of the artist devaluing their work. I was looking through all of my old Art Doll Quarterly magazines and it dawned on me weather you like the art or not all of the dolls that grace the pages of that magazine are art. It took creativity, time and skill. There are different degrees of skill, but some pieces just shine for the lack of it. This is something else I have been pondering in my little pea. I am so hard on myself and yet I love all types of artist and all types of skills. I heard something this week that has made me think about this subject. Art has never been about perfection. It is the creative spirit expressing itself. When you really get down deep and think about this, it is freeing. Sorry this post is so long.


No comments:

Post a Comment

About This Blog


Popular Posts

Labels