Saturday, November 28, 2009

Coffee Filter Stars Tutorial

It seems this Christmas season I am star struck. I wanted to share this tutorial so you can have as much fun making these as I am. I must warn you these are addictive. This is a great going green project and you can recycle your coffee filters. I am using new ones because I am making so many of them, but recycled are the best. The white coffee filters turn out that old vintage color we all love and if you do not drink coffee you can always use the natural coffee filters.This is such a fun and fast project.
.
  1.  To begin you will need to iron out your coffee filters.You can use one coffee filter or two. Two will give you a stiffer star. I am using one. Coffee filters are a great paper to work with because they have long fibers.

  1. Fold in half


Fold the half in half
Do again to find your center. Open
Fold the two outside edges to the center and fold one more time.Tape together. I am using paper tape, but anything will work. You can also staple together, but I like using the tape, so I can rearrange if it does not look right.
You will need five for the bottom part of the star and another five points for the top layer.
When laying your points out make sure they are only touching enough that you are able to tape together. It should look something like this, a five point star.
Now take your other five points and put them in between each point of the five pointed star.
The top layer of points should be shorter than the bottom.
Grab your stapler and give the center a few staples.
To make the center ruffle you will need two coffee filters that have not been ironed. Stick your finger in the center and pull the coffee filters up and tie a piece of twine around the filters
Cut off the bottom.
Open up and fluff.
I am using Aleene's quick dry "Tacky" glue.
Place your ruffle on top and add a pretty button.Now lets turn over to the back and place another ruffle on the back. If you want a hanger this is the time to add one.
If you would like the little pillow top center. It is all of the same steps as the ruffle, but you just add a little fiber fill to the center before you tie with the twine. After you have tied and fluffed take a needle and thread take a few runs from front to back and tie off and this will give you a place to glue your button. While drying I put it under a leg of a chair to give it a little more poof. Make sure not to stuff too much or you will have a problem with the paper tearing when you pass the needle through.

18 comments:

  1. Hey Kim, loved the tutorial. I also love working with paper. Coffee filtrs are certainly an inexpensive art supply product. Thanks for sharing. Hang in there and get yourself healthy. Take care, Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea, thanks for sharing, I love craft projects with coffee filters LOL so fun
    Karey

    ReplyDelete
  3. Girl!!!
    What an awesome idea! Thank you so very much for sharing your creativity...I may try this tomorrow!
    Hugs,
    Christina
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. So stunning...thanks for the wonderful tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! Kim, these are BEAUtiful!!! If you hadn't said that these gorgeous stars were made out of coffee filters, I'd have never known. Thanks for the awesome toot too!!! Hugs, Terri xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have never seen anything like that..and certainly would not have thought of it! They are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kim, these are great and while they look rather elegant, they also look so easy to make. Thank you so much for sharing the process with us. I plan on making some!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness, those are beyond adorable. Thanks so much for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. these are fantastic. thank you so much for revealing your secrets.
    robin

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun project Kim! Stop by my blog, I have something for you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful!
    Thank you for sharing a tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is great! Thanks for sharing. I gotta go buy some of those cool filters! I use an espresso machine for my coffee and sadly, we use no paper filters... I'll remedy that soon!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. great tutorial...i will be making one of these!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great tutorial...I am going to try this for sure!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oooh, I love stars and things that look old. This is PERFECT!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love this! Not quite understanding the pillow directions, though....

    ReplyDelete
  17. made it! love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. First of all I want to say excellent blog! I had a quick question which I'd like to ask if you don't mind. I was curious to find out how you center yourself and clear your thoughts before writing. I've had trouble clearing my mind in getting my ideas out. I truly do take pleasure in writing however it just seems like the first 10 to 15 minutes are generally lost simply just trying to figure out how to begin. Any recommendations or hints? Thank you!Enjoy my site สล็อ

    ReplyDelete

About This Blog


Popular Posts

Labels